Finding The Best Lipstick For Each Season
Trying out new lipstick shades is a perfect way to step outside your comfort zone when the seasons change. The right shade can elevate any look, whether you’re going for an all-out glam holiday look or a fresh and natural summer aesthetic. Here are some tips on how to get that perfect pout every time.
How many times a week should I wear lipstick?
You can wear lipstick every day if you want to!
If you’ve ever seen our founder, then you know that she always rocks a red lip. Her signature color is Hibiscus Fruit Pigmented® Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick. If you prefer to only wear lipstick on business days, we’ve got plenty of colors for you to choose from so that you can create the perfect set for any season.
If you’re looking for a lip color that will last several hours without needing to be reapplied, you have some great options.
Which lasts longer on your lips — lipstick or lip gloss?
Most people think that lipstick lasts longer than lip gloss, but there are many styles of long-wearing makeup available. The problem with these products is that they contain harsh chemicals and ingredients that can be harmful to your health. Polymers, acrylics, and parabens may make your cosmetics last longer, but they can also be ingested when you wear them. Decide on safer options for your lips (and health) by avoiding these ingredients.
Instead of opting for lipsticks with synthetic dyes, pick those richly pigmented with safe, natural water-based colors. The deeper pigment will adhere better to your lips and last much longer than conventional lipsticks, without the constant need to reapply or worry about ingesting toxins.
The Most Popular Colors of Lipstick
Although each person’s preferences for lip color differ, there are certain shades that become more popular during different seasons. For example, you’ll see ads for nude lipstick more often in the summer and darker colors offered as options during fall and winter.
This isn’t to say however that you can’t wear a brighter shade of red lipstick in summer or a nude color on New Year’s Eve. After all, the perfect lipstick is ultimately one that matches your skin tone and makes you feel confident no matter what time of year it is.
Nude lipsticks are easy to apply and an effortless way to add a bit of natural color if you want a bare-faced look.
A nude eye can be a great way to bring attention to a bold eye or go for low-key makeup, but it is essential that you do your research beforehand. If you pick a shade too close to your skin color, then you run the risk of looking washed out and sallow instead. Do your due diligence and figure out which undertones work best with your skin tone!
Achieve the perfect nude lip by avoiding straight beige shades. Instead, look for nudes with slight undertones of pink or berry; these hues will keep your lips looking natural and healthy while providing a hint of color.
Shades of Berries
Berry shades are a great option for all skin tones. Raspberry, blackberry, plum, and cranberry work well for different seasons. Berries can be richly pigmented and intimidating if you’re not used to so much color. You’ll find berries glide on easily in a lip gloss or offer deeper, richer colors in matte finishes.
Red is a shade for everyone because there are an infinite number of colors in the red lip color family. While some people may only wear their red lippies on special occasions, at 100% Pure we believe that every day can be made special with a bold red lip.
Wearing red doesn’t have to be intimidating! If you focus on finding shades with the correct undertones for your skin color, it’ll be easy to find one that matches.
Although they’re unpopular colors now, pink shades of lipstick were once quite popular in the 80’s. These hues can range from nude, petal pinks to brighter mauves and fuschias.
Pink lips look lovely during any season but are most common in spring due to the warmer weather.
Finding Which Lipstick Color Suits You
The color of your lipstick should be related to the undertones of your skin. After first appearing complicated, it is easy to shop from the correct shade families by understanding your overtones and undertones.
Let’s say you’re on the hunt for deep berry lip color. In that case, you’ll want to buy shades that correspond with your undertone family. For example, those with warm undertones should look for deep purples, tawny cranberries, and blackberries.
Lipstick Shades for Every Season
No matter the season, always remember: you’ll have your own list of favorites that quickly become your go-to’s. If you want to wear a rich red in spring, do it— confidently! There really are no rules when you feel fabulous.
For those of us who want just a little more guidance with our style choices, here are some tried and true picks for seasonal shades that are flattering and always in style.
As the leaves begin to change color, so does our nail polish. We love brick reds, browns, and muted mauves that give our nails a matte finish.
Try these shades:
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick in Narcissus, Poppy and Hibiscus. These two shades are perfect for a hayride or Thanksgiving dinner.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Lip & Cheek Tint in Cranberry Glow. A glossy red hue with a touch of pink leaves lips moisturized and vibrantly colored.
One of the great things about holiday parties is that they give you an opportunity to try out new makeup looks. Seasonal lip colors are a perfect way to experiment with different shades and finishes, whether you’re going for a casual or more formal look.
Deep berries are essential for winter, and they work for both casual and formal events. The darker and more dramatic the color, the more attention-grabbing it will be. Try experimenting with different finishes to achieve a completely different look with the same shade.
Try these shades:
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Lip Glaze in Fig. Our moisturizing Lip Glaze collection is made with real fruit pigments, plus avocado and cocoa butters to give lips a light, nourishing wash of natural color. For a subtle but noticeable color, this product is richly pigmented.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Lip Gloss in Pomegranate Wine. This blackberry undertoned red is perfect for holiday galas or family baking sessions.
After the dark and heavy colors of winter, springtime is a refreshing change. Lighter colors are worn to represent new beginnings, and pastels become mainstays in our makeup bag. To achieve a naturally soft look for the season, opt for pinks, mauves, and bright berries.
Try these shades:
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Lip Glaze in Coraline. This striking pink lip color is perfect for those with any skin tone and is a true, modern pink. This lovely color would be stunning at cherry blossom festivals, egg hunts, or during new romance.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick in Foxglove. This stain can be used on both your lips and cheeks to add a hint of color that will brighten up your complexion.
With fewer rules to follow in terms of shade selection, summer is the perfect time to experiment with a range of lipstick colors and finishes. Although waterproof options will be advertised heavily, we recommend avoiding them due to their unsavory ingredients. Instead, opt for a super hydrating lip color that will protect your lips from dehydration during the hotter months.
Nudes are a great way to add some sun-kissed color to your skin, and they can help give you a boost right where you need it.
Try these shades:
- 100% Pure Cherry Lip Balm. The organic sunflower and coconut oils, reparative vitamin E, and calming calendula blend together in this ultra-hydrating lip balm to moisturize your lips, giving them a softer feel. You can wear it by itself or put it over matte lipstick to add some shine to any color.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented® Cocoa Butter Matte Lipstick in Cactus Bloom. This youthful color is the anthem of summer for your lips. Long-lasting hydration keeps it so comfortable you’ll want to keep it on all season long.
The seasons might change, but our lipstick goals remain the same: To make you feel fabulous and keep your lips healthy. At 100% Pure, lip products (and skincare) are designed for people who want to take on the world year-round.