A Guide to Different Exfoliation Techniques
Do you have your skincare routine perfected? Good. However, don’t forget to include exfoliants in your regimen! Exfoliation is a key factor in achieving a vibrant and healthy complexion. Most individuals immediately think of scrubs with beads or other particles when it comes to exfoliating – but there are even more options available for polishing skin cells away from the surface of our skin.
Have you ever wondered what exfoliation is and why it’s important?
As we age, our skin cell regeneration rate slows down and dead cells accumulate on the epidermis. To counteract this natural process, an exfoliant can be used to dislodge these cellular build-ups from the upper layers of your skin. Hydroxy Acids, physical exfoliants, enzymes and Retinol are known for their efficiency in boosting your dermal turnover time back up to its original cycle.
Chemical exfoliators such as Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Retinol and enzymes are powerful tools to smooth the skin. Hydroxy Acids weaken dead cells on surface level while Enzymes devour them from within. Moreover, Retinol intervenes by breaking down bonds between living cells for a thorough shedding of the stratum corneum layer. With these potent ingredients at your fingertips you can treat yourself to an effective cellular scrub.
Utilizing a gentle, superficial exfoliant permits you to remain in the uppermost layer of your epidermis or stratum corneum. In contrast, if you receive light chemical exfoliation, there is no guarantee that any skin sloughing will occur.
Skincare experts have the upper hand with superficial chemical exfoliants that can influence a part or entirety of the epidermis down to its basal layer, resulting in slight peeling. As a general rule of thumb, you should get one facial every 30 days depending on your skin’s response to it.
By undergoing a peel that targets the dermis, you can expect longer recovery time and should plan for no more than three to six months between treatments.
To rid your skin of dead cells, physical exfoliants are an effective option. They include beads, nut powder or seed powder that manually scrub away the outer layers of the dermis. However, those with acne-prone and sensitive complexions should exercise caution when using this method since overuse can cause irritation to their delicate skin.
In addition, most exfoliating products contain polyethylene beads – tiny plastic pieces that are detrimental for our planet’s health. Because of this pressing issue, microbeads were prohibited in July 2018 worldwide.
Experience the Benefits of At-Home Exfoliation!
- Alpha-H Micro Super Scrub – This dual-action scrub is the ideal solution to help resurface your skin, diminishing the appearance of uneven tone. Packed with 12% glycolic acid and biodegradable bamboo stem extract that effectively dislodge dead skin cells for a smoother, softer result. Additionally, macadamia seed oil as well as vitamin E keep your complexion hydrated and not stripped from essential moisture. Cruelty-free with clean ingredients optimized for pH balance levels in mind; you’ll find that its velvety finish is vegan friendly too!
- 100%Pure Pumpkin Enzyme Scrub – Give your complexion a glowing makeover with this highly enzymatic facial scrub. Its unique blend of Pumpkin, Papaya, Pineapple enzymes and Maple AHA work together to buff away dullness while Beet lactic acid brightens and renews the skin. Plus, Vitamins A-E and antioxidants in restorative pumpkins reverse UV damage for increased firmness and elasticity – leaving you with super soft and smooth skin that radiates health from within.
- Fur Silk Scrub – Fur’s Silk Scrub delivers a gentle exfoliation, removing dead skin cells and revealing a more luminous complexion. This highly versatile scrub can be used in the shower as an all-over body scrub or even left on for up to fifteen minutes as an invigorating face mask– perfect after hair removal!
- Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub – Dermalogica Skin Prep Scrub is made with finely milled corn cob meal which works as a natural exfoliant, polishing and smoothing the skin’s surface. Featuring soothing mallow and ivy extracts to prevent irritation while gently removing clogging debris from the skin, this formula helps make sure that treatment can be properly absorbed for maximum results.
- Lancer Skincare The Method: Polish Sensitive-Dehydrated Skin – Experience a beautiful complexion free of blemishes with Lancer Skincare The Method: Polish Sensitive-Dehydrated Skin. Formulated to both hydrate and soothe skin, this face scrub uses magnesium crystals and antioxidants that help exfoliate away dead skin cells while promoting improved texture and reducing the appearance of aging.
- Naturopathica Sweet Cherry Polishing Lip Scrub – Pamper your lips with this Lip Scrub, formulated to make them look healthy and nourished. With cherry seed exfoliating particles and sweet cherry puree, dead skin cells are buffed away for a softer feel and smoother appearance. Not only does it provide you with delectable-looking pout but also emits a delightful aroma of cherries!
- 100%Pure Blood Orange Body Scrub – This vegan body exfoliator is the key to soft, glowing skin. With crystalline sea salt and a base of sunflower and apricot oils, this emollient scrub gently buffs away bumps, flakes and any rough patches while stimulating circulation for rejuvenated skin that’s richly hydrated with supple moisture.