Learn How to Feel Confident In Your Own Skin
You’ve lived a full life and earned every laugh line. So, stop to spend time in front of the mirror obsessing over them!
Aging is inevitable, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do anything about it. In fact, aging beautifully is possible with the right knowledge and understanding of how aging skin works. By learning how to take care of your skin properly and enhance your appearance (instead of trying to hide those lines), you can feel confident and radiant at any age.
We believe that true skin is the most beautiful kind, and once you know how to take care of yourself, you’ll agree! Here at 100% Pure, we want every person to feel confident in their own skin.
What are laughter lines?
Smile lines, also known as nasolabial creases or nasolabial folds, are tiny wrinkles that develop around the mouth over time from smiling and laughing. They’re a totally normal part of aging!
- The first sign of aging might be fine lines that resemble parentheses appearing near the corners of your mouth and extending from the bottom lip to the nose.
- Over time, your skin will develop deeper creases, and when the crease deepens enough, the skin immediately above it will fold over into a flap that is especially noticeable when you smile.
There are a lot of ways that cosmetic surgeons will try to get you to cover up your wrinkles, including injections and lifts that might as well be barbaric. The lines always come back though, and procedures can be expensive.
Why Does Skin Age?
Smile lines, otherwise known as laugh lines, are wrinkles that show up on our skin usually due to aging. However, some other lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age faster than it would naturally.
Your skin’s aging process is impacted by three major factors.
- With age, our body produces less collagen. This protein is vital to many tissues in our bodies–particularly skin. It’s what gives skin a young and plump appearance. Once we start producing less collagen, usually around middle-age, our skin begins to look thin and hollower.
- Elastin is a protein that gives skin the ability to return to its original position. Unfortunately, as we age, elastin production declines; causing our skin to become wrinkled or saggy.
- A newborn’s skin cells renew approximately every seven days while an older adult’s may take up to two months. The turnover rate refers to how often our skin cells die and create new ones, the faster the process is referred to as cell turnover. A longer cell renewal period means that old skin cells will remain on your surface for a more extended time.
Over time, our skin naturally starts to age. However, there are other things that can make this process happen faster.
Wearing sunscreen is vital to preventing skin damage from UV rays and keeping your complexion looking young.
The UV rays from the sun produce free radicals, which damage your skin cells and inhibit the production of collagen and elastin. If you spent a lot of time in the sun without protection as a child, you may now have tough, leathery skin as an adult.
Smoking is bad for your health in general, but it takes a particularly severe toll on your skin. Studies have shown that smoking can age your skin by up to five years.
There are four ways in which smoking damages your skin:
- Because nicotine constricts blood vessels, smokers often have dry and malnourished skin due to poor oxygen and nutrient circulation.
- Not only does smoking cigarettes make it difficult for your skin to heal, but the chemicals in them also interfere with DNA regeneration in your skin cells.
- Although smoking won’t cause smile lines, the repetitive motion from inhaling and exhaling will create small lines around your upper and lower lips.
- Cigarette smoke and heat can dry out the skin around your mouth andThroughout your entire body, making you more susceptible to wrinkles and an aged appearance.
Your skin will improve drastically if you stop smoking.
How to Reduce Smile Lines
Smile lines come with age, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and accept them. With the right skin care routine, you can make them less noticeable and feel better about yourself.
Although you can’t fully stop smile lines from happening, you can take steps to prevent them from showing up until later in life. Putting down cigarettes, using sunscreen, and staying hydrated are all easy ways to make sure your skin is healthy and strong against outside aggressors that could cause aging before its time.
Use Better Products
Many conventional beauty products use harsh chemicals that can damage and dry out your skin. 100% Pure takes a natural approach to skin care, using only clean ingredients that are effective for maintaining healthy skin.
Shea butter is one of our favorite ingredients because it has powerful anti-aging properties. It’s a natural antioxidant that helps protect your skin against free radicals from the sun and other stressors. Plus, shea butter contains terpene, a plant compound that helps support healthy skin cell turnover. That means the compounds in shea butter help it hydrate, repair, and support your skin cells as they age—so your skin can look and feel its best.
Draw Attention Away
Although some people may elect to paint their smile lines neon pink, it is not necessary. There are plenty of other ways to accentuate your natural beauty and draw attention away from laugh lines.
Your laugh lines do not need any powder or foundation in an attempt to “fill” them. This will only result in more attention being drawn to the lines. Products will end up caked deep within the creases, creating a finish that is darker than the rest of your makeup. Instead of concealer and foundation, we recommend skipping ahead to primer— this will help ensure that your makeup stays on top of your skin surface.
Create a Lift
If you want lifted-looking skin, you don’t need surgery or harsh treatments. Instead, use the right products on healthy, hydrated skin for a natural lift that looks completely believable.
- Create more symmetrical and powerful cheekbones. With a Multi-Stick cream you can achieve the look of high cheekbones, which will ultimately take attention away from any creases or folds around your nose. Gently apply the product to the upper middle part of your cheeks in an outward motion. Be careful not to pull the color too close to your nose, as that might cause your cheeks to appear droopy.
- Get luminous skin in an instant with our luminizer. This hybrid product (it’s both a highlighter and illuminator) is perfect for dotting on the upper cheekbones, center of the eyelids, and bridge of the nose. Created with castor seed oil and coconut oil, it helps keep skin looking healthy while minimizing laugh lines.
Remember to take care of your skin as you age, using natural and hydrating ingredients in your skincare products. Smiling is also key—it keeps wrinkles at bay!
Learn How to Love Your Smile Lines
Essentially, smile lines are happy memories of laughter and smiles. And although they may not *necessarily* be something you want to remember every time you look in the mirror – we think they’re beautiful. If you take care of your skin now, those smile lines will only become a testimony to a life well-lived. Here at 100% Pure, we only use clean, green products that uncover your most radiant, natural self. Trust us with your skincare needs!