From Cleansers to Moisturizers
Whenever I’m confused about how to apply my skincare products, morning or night; it can be quite overwhelming. Should serum come first, then moisturizer? When is the ideal time for SPF? What even goes on before eye cream? With so many questions and a lack of knowledge on this topic, getting your skin routine right can become an incredibly daunting task!
We all have different skin care needs, and as a result, our routines vary. After going through plenty of trial-and-error on the matter myself, I can confidently share my experiences with you! To ensure that each product is working at its peak potential without being diluted by another item or causing an interaction between them, I recommend waiting several minutes between layering products. Here are my morning and evening skincare routines in their proper order:
1. In the morning, instead of cleansing my skin, I mix a splash of water with vitamin C powder. After doing so, it feels like my complexion is given a powerful boost in glow and clarity while also discouraging any breakouts or dullness that may have been otherwise present. Vitamin C is without a doubt one of the most effective ways to wake up your skin!
This ingenious bottle contains the highly effective powdered form of vitamin C. Add a bit to your daily serum treatment, and you’ll notice an improved skin tone that is brighter, more radiant, and firmer!
Vitamin C breaks down quickly in water, so even preservative-filled formulas don’t achieve long-term success; however, this pH-balanced formula ensures a glowing complexion while aiding collagen production for resilient skin. Hyaluronic acid intensely rehydrates dry patches while restoring the appearance of youthfulness with its refreshed radiance.
2. After a few minutes of waiting, I pat on some Organic Rosehip Oil. Vitamin C sometimes leaves my skin dry, so the oil offers me intense hydration that doesn’t feel heavy. My complexion looks and feels more radiant than ever, with improved suppleness, elasticity, plumpness, firmness, and smoothness! If you’re someone who usually reaches for moisturizers, then consider opting for oils, as they have been used by people across centuries due to their multiple benefits.
This extraordinary oil is an instant skin and hair nourisher, sinking deeply into the layers of your skin to combat dryness, wrinkles, and discoloration. Carefully cold-pressed for maximum efficacy, rosehip seed oil can be used as a single moisturizer or amplified with other hydrators. Even better? This miracle worker doubles as a midday pick-me-up—just pat it on over makeup!
2(b). If your skin is especially dehydrated, I recommend layering on an oil first and waiting for five minutes before applying a rich moisturizer like Seaberry Moisturizer. Generally, the built-in moisturizers in any clean SPF should be enough to keep the oil sealed in; however, if you’re extra dry, then this two-step process will work wonders!
This intensely nourishing moisturizer is crafted with organic seaberry fruit oil and packed with an abundance of phytonutrients that infuse your skin’s vitality, health, and radiance. Seaberry-derived reparative effects combined with bakuchiol, plant stem cells, and peptides not only forestall the onset of wrinkles but also promote younger-looking skin.
Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream is a revolutionary moisturizer that prevents premature aging while nourishing and conditioning the skin. Extracts of aloe, arnica, mallow, cucumber, and grapeseed oil combine with vitamins A, C, and E to create an antioxidant-rich blend that reduces fine lines and neutralizes free radicals. In addition to its anti-aging properties, it also soothes redness for increased suppleness and revitalized vitality!
3. Every day I use Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream before applying concealer for a subtle and temporary smoothing of my under-eye area. This strategic patting makes all the difference in ensuring that my concealer goes on easier, looks 1,000 times more natural, and effectively masks any blemishes. So no matter how oily your skin is—you don’t have oil glands in the under-eye area!—it’s essential to apply this eye cream first for optimum results.
This potent cream deeply nourishes and hydrates the delicate eye area, firming the skin for a more youthful look. Not only does it visibly reduce fine lines and wrinkles, but its anti-inflammatory green tea and coffee ingredients also help to de-puff eyes while brightening dark circles. Packed with powerful antioxidants and vitamins designed to invigorate the eye area, plus rosehip oil that soothes dryness for softer skin, this cream is your shortcut to younger-looking eyes!
4. After allowing a minute for my oil or moisturizer to permeate, I followed with Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad-Spectrum SPF 35. Many dermatologists recommend this step first due to the fact that chemical SPFs need time to be absorbed by your skin for them to work (here are some of the many reasons why you should NEVER use chemical SPF).
Clean and non-toxic pure mineral sunscreen is effective when applied on top of your skincare since it does not need absorption; therefore, I prefer putting it last so as not to disturb any prior products and create a barrier as close to my skin as possible.
This all-mineral SPF is designed with ultra-hydrating and lightweight properties, offering you advanced sun protection while simultaneously improving the texture and tone of your skin. It’s specifically formulated for those who have sensitive or post-procedure skin types in mind.
Not only are you protected from UVA rays (the highest protection available), but you also have UVB coverage to protect from any potential solar damage. Green tea extractions and caffeine combine to reduce redness, and discoloration, soothe inflammation, and provide a calming effect on the skin too!
4(b). To ensure a luminous complexion, I’ve been using the ultra-pure and nontoxic Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40. Even better? A little of it goes on the backs of my hands too!
This glowing, milky, and instantly perfect protection of SPF 40 is the definitive makeup-no-makeup product. It’s not about obscuring imperfections but rather looking like you, only enhanced! This clean skin tint combines cosmetics, skincare, and sunscreen all in one single step.
With each application, your skin will be visibly hydrated, smoothed out, and refined to its bare skin texture. Non-nano zinc oxide protects from UVA/UVB/UVC rays as well as blue light and pollution alike while giving you a choice of 30 shades that seamlessly blend into your complexion.
1. After a long day of wearing makeup, I love to indulge in Calendula Flower Cleansing Milk for a deep and nourishing cleanse. On my days off when I don’t wear any *products*, however, all that is needed is an enriching spritz of the Flower Water Toner onto a cotton pad to gently remove dirt from my skin.
Pamper your skin with this luxurious, yet extremely effective cleanser! Just apply the silky, foaming milk and let it sweep away all traces of makeup without leaving any residue. Our calendula face wash is enriched with moisturizing sea buckthorn oil, hydrating rose hydrosol, and calming chamomile to soothe even the driest or most sensitive complexion. Experience blissfully soft skin like never before!
Quench your skin’s thirst and reduce redness with Soothing Face Toner, a potent blend of rose water and other nourishing floral hydrosols. Hyaluronic acid hydrates for a soft, supple texture, delivering nutrients deep into the complexion. This alcohol-free formula also features organic witch hazel to leave pores purified and refreshed.
2. I recently tried the incredible Medical Obagi360 Retinol, and I was stunned by the results!
Obagi360 Retinol 0.5 is an ideal product for kickstarting your skin’s journey with retinol! Formulated with a lower concentration of 0.5% retinol, this product will help speed up cell turnover, diminishing acne and wrinkles while minimizing hyperpigmentation in no time at all! In addition to the effects of its main ingredient, it contains nourishing jojoba oil and shea butter, which promote firmness and elasticity, while vitamins C and E work together to combat free radicals.
3. If I’m feeling a bit dull, aged, or my spirit is low, the Multi-Vitamin + Antioxidants PM Facial Oil acts as an instant mood booster for me!
Age correction is more than just a nightly treatment—it’s an anti-aging powerhouse! Complete with the highest quality plant oils, concentrated multi-vitamins, and potent antioxidants, this powerful formula visibly reduces lines and wrinkles and increases firmness and elasticity for firmer skin.
Not only does it balance uneven skin tone to promote a glowing complexion, but Age Corrective also supports cellular regeneration while promoting collagen and elastin production for youthfully beautiful results.
4. Whenever my skin feels parched or irritated, I take a break for five minutes and apply Intensive Nourishing Balm. It’s so incredibly calming and hydrating—you don’t know what you missed until you’ve tried it!
Unveil smooth and soft skin with a luxurious moisture treatment specifically designed to target areas of extreme dryness. This powerful combination of sumptuous butter and nourishing oils can be used to replenish the delicate patches around your nose, elbows, feet, or any area that is prone to dehydration. Also infused with lavender oil, this multipurpose salve instantly soothes itchy, scaly skin while providing long-lasting hydration throughout the day.